Lake Tekapo Activities
The first glimpse of Lake Tekapo, a stunning jewel of turquoise blue leaves a lasting impression. Trapped at the northern end of the extensive tussock clad Mackenzie Basin by its ancient glacial moraine, it remains hidden until the highway is almost at its shores.
The three major contributing rivers of the Macauley, Godley and Cass valleys with their mountain peaks provide a grand panorama, and there are many opportunities for outdoor activities such as fishing, mountain biking and hiking in the area. Lake Tekapo Village at the southern outlet of the lake, is a small, but growing community providing for the needs of its many visitors, with a range of accommodation, dining and services available. A considerable number of mainly outdoor activities are available for visitors to this unique area.
Lake Tekapo activities include:
- Scenic flights, both fixed wing and helicopter, into the Mt Cook Region
- Star watching and astronomy
- Shorter walking trails from the village, around the southern end of the lake
- Guided alpine climbing and hiking
- Skiing, both commercial, downhill and Nordic
- Horse trekking around Mt John
- Lake cruises
- Fishing on the lake or in its rivers and streams
- Hunting, especially thar and chamois, along with smaller game
- Mountain biking
- Ice skating, winter sports and hot pools
View more information about Lake Tekapo Scenic Resort accommodation.